Is Botulinum Toxin A Safe Procedure ?
Botulinum toxin has been used in hospitals since 1977 and within the medical aesthetics industry for over 20 years. There are 70 countries in which Botulinum Toxin is widely used, and 6 million patients a year have treatment in the USA alone.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first cleared this particular brand of Botulinum toxin in 1989, making it the first approved form of wrinkle injection in the world that targets wrinkles and fine lines. These injections are a natural, purified protein that temporarily relax the facial muscles that cause fine lines and wrinkles. This injectable treatment is an established brand name and can treat conditions like hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), a wide jaw, and even calf slimming.
Who Is A Suitable Candidate For This Treatment?
Botulinum toxin injections can be used on a wide range of patients, and is primarily used for skin rejuvenation, as well as the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Those who have medical conditions that can affect safety, such as damaged nerves or muscle complaints, should disclose this information during consultation to avoid any complications.
The treatment is not advisable for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. While there are no clinical studies to show that the injection is harmful to the baby or mother, medical professionals advise against having treatment under these circumstances.
What areas can be treated?
Botulinum Toxin does not just treat wrinkles, but also jaw slimming, skin lifting, body parts slimming, excessive sweating and teeth grinding.
Wrinkles and fine lines can be identified in two ways: expressive or static. Expressive lines are those which are evident when expressing emotion. Static lines are those which remain evident even when the face is relaxed.
The main areas that are affected by expressive and static lines that may benefit from an anti-wrinkle injection are:
- Glabella – Frown lines
The Glabella is the area between your brows. Over time, some may find that there are deep lines that becomes quite prominent. The use of botulinum toxin can relax the muscle to stop you overworking that area and reduce the appearance of that static groove.
- Forehead – Horizontal lines
Likewise, the forehead is an area where we tend to get both expressive and static lines. The use of botulinum toxin relaxes the area to stop over-expression.
Crow’s Feet – Corner of the eye
This is a concern many of our patients have. Many believe the eye and lip areas to be the most obvious sites for ageing. It is particularly important to check that the injector administering the treatment is highly-skilled when injecting around the eyes.
- Bunny Lines – Top of the nose
Bunny lines are mostly evident when smiling. They form on the bridge of the nose, near the tear duct of the eye. If in doubt, picture a bunny scrunching up its nose. While it might not be an obvious area to treat, it can be a bugbear for those who do not like the way their smile appears in the mirror and in photos.
- Brow – Lifting of the brow area
Surgery is usually the last resort for patients as they wish to get great results without going under the knife, which is completely understandable. Botulinum toxin can be used as a non-surgical alternative to do a brow lift by introducing the solution to key points, relaxing the muscles we use to frown, and lifting the weight that we naturally want to push down.
- Jawline – Non-surgical reshaping
If your masseter muscle (the muscle that controls jaw movement) is particularly robust, it can make your jawline rather square. If you desire a slimmer, heart-shaped jaw, botulinum toxin is a possible treatment option. This is particularly favoured among women.
Is there any downtime and what are the side effects?
While there is no real downtime or side effects associated with anti-wrinkle injections, it is important to note that you may encounter some slight bruising and swelling directly after treatment, due to the injection point.
You may also be able to see small pin prick marks at the injection site. This can easily be masked by makeup. Some mild discomfort may be felt during treatment, but we use ultra-fine needles at VIDASKIN, and the treatment can be completed relatively quickly.
There are no long-term side effects of having wrinkle injections, meaning patients can resume their usual activities straight away, and can also fly post-treatment. For best results, avoid massaging the area that has been treated, and avoid exercising the area for 4 hours after treatment. This will ensure that the product works to the best of its advantage for the individual.
How long after treatment should I wait before I touch the treated area?
Following any treatment which involves injections into the face, we would always recommend not touching the area for at least 6 hours, preferably waiting until the next day. While it is okay to clean the area, we advise against the application of any makeup until 24 hours post-treatment, at which point it is perfectly reasonable to use light makeup.
When Will I See Results?
Results should be visible after 5 – 7 Days. Patients are usually required to attend our reviews 2 weeks post-treatment to ensure that we have treated you to perfection, and so that we can understand you and your muscles better. This will help to guide our future treatments with you. During this review session, it may also be possible to make minor adjustments if necessary.
How Long Will Results Last?
Can men get wrinkle relaxing injections?
How do I avoid wrinkle injections making me look “frozen”?
What Are Points I Should Look Out For With A Botulinum Toxin Procedure?
- First – your Botulinum toxin specialist should be a registered medical practitioner. They must be familiar with facial anatomy and procedures associated with injectables. Before you begin the procedure, it’s best to ensure the individual administering injectables has the credentials necessary to properly treat you.
- Second – a Botulinum toxin procedure only takes a few minutes. Sometimes, a topical anesthetic is applied to the skin. A fine needle is used to inject Botulinum toxin into specified muscles of the face to achieve the desired effect. You can expect a very mild discomfort and a wait of about a week for the full effect to manifest. ( Procedure is bearable even without numbing cream; an ice pack may be applied. ) Before your procedure, you should avoid anti-inflammatory medications and supplements like ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Vitamin A, fish oil, flax oil, Vitamin E, Vioxx, and others for at least 2 weeks.
- Third – Botulinum toxin injections typically follow a pattern of injections strategically placed in 4 to 5 main areas that include the forehead or the area around the eyes. A skilled and experienced doctor may make more injections depending on the desired results and condition of the skin. If any areas bleed after an injection, pressure may be applied to the area. To minimize bruising after the procedure, it is recommended that patients avoid aspirin-related products.
Why Choose Wrinkle Injections With VIDASKIN?